The Back to Education Allowance is awarded to those who have left education and are returning to further/complete their education. The criteria are that you must be unemployed, parenting alone or have a disability and getting certain payments from the Department of Social Protection to apply. To be eligible, you must be progressing in your education, meaning the NFQ level of the course you wish to apply to must be higher than the NFQ level of the last course you completed. 

You cannot receive the maintenance allowance from the SUSI grant with the BTEA, but you may receive tuition payment. However, if you are in receipt of One Parent Family payment, you may be entitled to maintenance from SUSI.