Job Advertisement for
TU Dublin Students’ Union
Specified purpose contract (maternity leave cover)
Full-time, 5 day a week
13th February 2023
Contract duration of minimum 6 months
This role will be primarily based onsite (unless Government guidelines state otherwise).
TU Dublin SU operates on the following campuses: Blanchardstown, City (Aungier Street, Bolton Street and Grangegorman) and Tallaght.
Application Form and full Job Advertisement
TU Dublin SU is currently looking for a Communications Executive to join our professional team to assist us in developing a more strategic approach to all our communications activities across multiple platforms in order to better inform and serve the interests of our student members.
We are looking for someone to help us develop our membership communications through managing and developing our website, developing engaging content for our socials and supporting our officers in developing and delivering campaigns. The successful candidate will support the development of great campaign materials, by ensuring that data drives our content and engagement strategy and practices.
This role is ideal for someone proactive and with proven experience of working on their own initiative, and in delivering high quality materials that can be targeted and adapted for our diverse audiences.
Working with the President of the Students’ Union and the Development Manager, the Communications Executive will be responsible for leading the development of our communications strategy that will deliver on the political aims of the officers on behalf of the membership. They will have a keen understanding of how to use data to inform our communications activities, generate publicity campaigns and oversee implementation, project manage through to completion and evaluation.
As a student-led organisation, we have a very busy term time where we engage regularly with our student members. During off-peak times we use this time to plan and prepare. While the job description is detailed, we focus on different projects at different times of the year.
Duties will include
- Developing a TU Dublin SU communication strategy and implementing and monitoring the plan to increase brand awareness, student engagement, and effective communications to our members across the University
- Analyse campaigns and communications performance and utilising student feedback and data to increase engagement with audiences across all media platforms
- Support and contribute to the continued development of strong brand guidelines for the organisation.
- Support elected Officers and staff in embedding the brand and brand values in all TU Dublin SU activities and services
- Have overall responsibility for our website including development of an overarching ‘site map’, and ensuring it is up to date and accurate
- Analyse website analytics regularly and report on same to the political and operational team.
Social and Digital Media
- Oversee the day to day running of all our social media channels by designing and implementing regular social media plans and content calendars to ensure all our campaigns receive the appropriate level of promotion
- In conjunction with the elected team, create and post content across all our digital channels to help increase engagement and awareness of our organisation and its services
- Working with the staff and officers to ensure we engage with followers professionally by responding to replies and enquiries in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Monitor, analyse and report on all social campaigns to ensure we are learning and building to grow our audiences and reporting same.
Campaigns and Content*
- Work with the Student Officer team to promote their public profiles and provide support on completing campaigns as outlined in their manifesto
- Actively seek opportunities for sharing organisational wins from all officers and staff and releasing through blog posts, news releases, social media posts, and or other forms of content
- Monitor and evaluate all TU Dublin SU communications with the student body to ensure they are effective and providing regular and relevant data to colleagues on same.
- Oversee the design and development of the Unions overall communications such as a regular Student Newsletter, Annual Report and other publications, within our brand guidelines.
- Produce publicity materials (press releases, briefing, photocall notices, and media statements) for all events and activities Support events and activities on-site by collecting images/videos/quotes etc for use after an event or live updating an event as required
- Monitoring news and current affairs, as well as relevant social media accounts and regularly updating the team on relevant developments
- Support driving excellent internal communications within our political and operational team, ensure everyone knows what going on.
- Support the Events and Marketing team in their marketing and promotion strategies and advising where appropriate
- Develop key relationships with our elected team, the university, and other stakeholders to develop enhanced visibility to our audiences
- Act as the point of contact for all media enquiries to TU Dublin SU and provide advice and guidance to elected officers and other internal stakeholders on media interviews
- Support and assist our Student Media Crew and develop opportunities for content collaboration
- Honours Degree in communications, journalism, or related area
- Minimum of 3 years' full-time relevant experience in a communication, journalism, or relevant role
- Proven experience of developing and delivering on a communications strategy with clear metrics of success
- Excellent demonstrable written skills with an understanding of the importance of brand, tone and ability to convey complex messages while writing for different media and audiences and demonstrating a keen attention to detail
- Proven success in project planning and implementation, and ability to work effectively in partnership with both internal and external stakeholders
- A real passion for social and digital medias and a willingness to learn about emerging technologies, innovations, and trends
- Experience of, or strong understanding of, producing web content and an organisation’s social media presence
- Experience in creating content for websites and social media campaigns for both organic reach and paid campaigns
- Proficiency in some or all core digital and e-Commerce tools e.g. Google Analytics, Word Press, Canva / Adobe Suite, Hootsuite (or similar), Facebook ads, LinkedIn ads, Google Ads, E-mail marketing software
- Understanding of Data Protection issues and understanding of confidentiality and discretion within the role.
- Experience in working for or good understanding of the press/media industry in Ireland
- Competency in the Irish language
- Experience or working knowledge of the Higher Education sector would be an advantage
- Experience of working in a membership-based organisation sector an advantage
- E-mail marketing tools, Video and Photo Editing (Canva, Adobe Suite) programmes would be advantageous
- Experience in listening and responding to people online in an efficient manner
The successful candidate will have:
- Fluent in verbal and written English.
- The right candidate must be able to think strategically and creatively and be prepared to act under their own initiative where appropriate
- An ability to work flexibly, manage working time effectively, prioritise projects appropriately and sets realistic timescales
- Have strong problem-solving skills with a capacity to solve problems creatively
- Good people skills and a positive work attitude.
- Proactive, energetic, enthusiastic, and adaptable approach to a variety of tasks and projects
- A commitment to the principles of equality and diversity as well as those of the Student Representative movement
- A real team player with an understanding that you will work in a diverse environment working with cross-functional and cross-organisational teams.
- Proven ability to manage a varied workload in a flexible and diverse working environment
- Be willing to actively share ideas and information with people, with the purpose of achieving a particular result as a team
- Show commitment to completing tasks to a very high standard
How to apply
If you feel you are ready for this role and would like to apply, please submit your CV and completed job application form to - email@example.com
Wednesday the 25th of January at 5pm.
Late applications will not be reviewed. Interviews will be taken in person at a Dublin City location on Friday, the 3rd of February 2023. Further details will be given to those candidates who are shortlisted for interview. Canvassing is strictly prohibited.
Due to limited resources, feedback will only be given to candidates who have been shortlisted for interview.
 *TU Dublin SU has a full-time Graphic Designer on the team. While visual content may be required from time-to-time it is not the focus of this role.