External member of Finance, Audit and Risk Committee
TU Dublin SU CLG is the organisation through which the Students’ Union provides services to its membership, provides professional support to the Union’s officers and administers the Union’s business affairs in a professional and transparent manner. The Company employs a team of professional staff which is led by an interim General Manager.
TU Dublin SU CLG is currently recruiting one independent external member for the Finance, Audit and Risk Committee (FARC) to offer support to and act as a resource for members of the Committee. Fundamental to the role is the understanding of the values and ethos of TU Dublin Students' Union and having financial background.
Company affairs are overseen by a Board of directors comprising 9 student directors and 5 external directors. The Board is responsible for setting and overseeing strategy to give effect to the policy goals of the union, ensuring the ongoing financial management and stability of the company, and compliance with all legislative and regulatory requirements. FARC meets 6 – 8 times per year.
External Member of Finance, Audit and Risk Committee
The scope of work will cover the following:
- Act as a mentor to senior management staff involved in Finance and Audit roles;
- Act as an advisor to the General Manager and Chair of the Finance, Audit and Risk Committee;
- Serve as the external member of the Finance, Audit and Risk Committee of the Board, in accordance with the Terms of Reference of that committee;
- Ensure that all papers circulated prior to the meetings are read and obtain further explanations on topics when necessary;
- Comply with the duties and responsibilities of the committee;
- Actively participate in these meetings, by bringing external knowledge of the sector to discussions, with the objective of broadening the diversity of the committee and contributing to decisions;
- Create effective working relationships with other committee members.
- Attend the 6-8 scheduled meetings, review and discuss items with relevant TU Dublin SU CLG personnel and prepare briefing reports/comments on the meeting papers;
- Attend planned meeting with TU Dublin SU CLG’s internal Auditors
- Attend planned meeting with the Auditor for feedback on the annual audit
- Draft a report to the Board from the Finance, Audit and Risk Committee on:
- Governance issues
- Financial reporting
- Effectiveness of internal controls
- Quality of internal and external audit
- Adequacy of risk management
- Submit an annual review of Committee’s effectiveness to the Board
- Advisory meetings with Chair and Deputy Chair of the Finance, Audit and Risk Committee.
The following exclusions will apply to candidate selection:
- Is, or has been a student of TU Dublin within the last 4 years
- Is, or has been an employee of the company within the last 4 years
- Has, or has had, within the last 4 years, a material business relationship with the company – either directly or as a shareholder, director or senior employee of a body that has a relationship with the company.
- Currently receives additional remuneration from the company, apart from a directors’ fee or is a member of the company’s pension scheme
- Has close family ties with any of the company’s advisors, directors or senior employees
- Holds cross-directorships or has significant links with other directors through involvement with other companies or bodies.
The external member of FARC will be appointed for one term of 1 year. The position will then be reviewed. An annual payment will be agreed.
How to apply
Expressions of interests which should include a CV and a covering letter outlining the reasons for your application should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5p.m. on Friday 2nd June 2023.
Interviews will be scheduled on the following dates and times: Friday 9th June 2023.