Accommodation Issues


If you wish to speak to one of your Student Advisors, drop into your local Students’ Union or contact us to arrange an appointment via

Rental Scams


FraudSMART in partnership with An Garda Síochána and Union of Students of Ireland urge students to be vigilant to rental scams and outline key advise to avoid falling victim - see information at

You can pick up a FraudSMART leaflet in your local SU Advice Office. 

Scam Watch

Scam Watch information can be found at Threshold Website, search the keyword ‘Scam Watch’ to learn more;

If you have been scammed out of money you should inform the Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation on:

(01) 6663777 

or visit immediately. 

Alternatively, contact your local Garda station.

Poor Quality Accommodation

If you are concerned about the quality of your accommodation, please check out your rights and what you can do here.

Please note that these pertain to private rented accommodation. If you are renting a room within a landlord's home, be sure to set out expectations and rules regarding rent, bills, and facilities before you hand over your lease. 

Room Mate Issues

Unless you're late in to your college experience or you've shared a room with a sibling, university could be the first time you find yourself living with strangers or friends. We all come from different walks of life, and with that bring different experiences and ways of living to the table. It is important to consider this in order to effectively live in harmony with others - for the majority of the time at least.

We are only human and sometimes disputes, disagreements, or an undercurrent of tension can occur in shared accommodation. If you need advice, you can speak with a Student Advisor. While we can't always control these situations, we can try our best to prevent them. See this guide on getting along with your roommates. If you've tried everything, or for whatever reason have decided that moving out is your best option, see here about ending a tenancy early. You can also speak to a Student Advisor if you need support in finding accommodation

Landlord Disputes

If you are in a dispute with your landlord it is important to know your rights. Sometimes disputes can occur due to misunderstandings or miscommunications so try to communicate calmly and effectively. The Residential Tenancies Board also offers a free mediation service for tenants and landlords. The service covers disputes about deposits, lease terms, termination of tenancies, rent arrears, market rents, and more. Any decision reached by the board is legally binding. 

Given Notice to Leave

If you have been given notice by your landlord that your tenancy is ending and you are unsure of its validity, you can contact Threshold on 1800 454 454. You can find more information here.